Use of is are am was were in English

English Speaking Practice Exercise No. 1 Use of is, are, am, was, were 
In Simple Present Tense, we use
'is' with the Third Person Singular (he, she, it and  Singular Noun)
For Example:
  • He is a driver.
  • He is not a bad driver.
  • She is a teacher.
  • Is she a good teacher?
  • It is a good piece of advice.
  • Is it not a good piece of advice?
'am' is used with the first person singular, 'I'
  • I am a player.
  • I am not sure about the result.
  • Am I a good student?
  • Am I not a good teacher? 
'are' with the Third Person Plural (They) and the Second Person Singular and Plural (You) 
For Example:
  • They are players.
  • Are you there at the meeting?
  • You are a driver.
  • Are you sure about your success?

In Simple Past Tense, we use
'was' with the Third Person Singular (I, he, she, it and  Singular Noun)
For Example:
  • He was a clerk in the office.
  • She was not at the office yesterday.
  • She was a school teacher.
  • It was a grand building.
  • Was it a good plan?
'were' is used with the third person plural (They), the first person plural, (We) and the second person (You)
  • They were good masters.
  • They were not ready to play. 
  • We were in the hall. 
  • Were we not your neighbours?
  • You were not there in school.
  • Were you not present in the class?
Choose the correct option of the following:
1. She ___ my best friend in school.   


ANSWER= (B) 
Explanation: She is my best friend in school. 

2. She ____ a very hardworking lady.  


     D
ANSWER= (A) is 
Explanation: She is a very hardworking lady. 

3. They ___  very good teachers.   

ANSWER= (B) are
Explanation: They are very good teachers.  

5. He ____ my best friend. 


ANSWER= (C) is 
Explanation: He is my best friend. 

6. There ____ a man on the roof. 

ANSWER= (B) is 
Explanation: There is a man on the roof.  

7.  It ___ very difficult to carry a lot of things on a bicycle


ANSWER= (D) 
Explanation: It is very difficult to carry a lot of things on a bicycle. 

8. Yes, there ___ something in my bag. 

ANSWER= (A) is
Explanation: There is something in my bag.

9. Sara  ____ a good girl.




ANSWER= (B) is 
Explanation: Sara is a good girl. 

10.  Children ____ in the hall 


ANSWER= (B) are 
Explanation: Children are in the hall. 

11.  What ____ that building? It is a school.    



ANSWER= (C) is 
Explanation: What is that building? It is a school. 

12. He ____ not at home. He was out. 





ANSWER= (C) was 
Explanation: If he was not at home. He was out.

13. There ___ a few restaurants here.


ANSWER= (B) are 
Explanation: On Monday we went to watch a movie. (simple Past Tense). 

14. There ___ full moon in the sky today. 




ANSWER= (B) is
Explanation: There is a full moon in the sky today. 

15. I ____ ready to go with him yesterday.  




ANSWER= (B) was 
Explanation: I was ready to go with him yesterday. 

16. She ___ not willing to come to the party.





ANSWER= (B) is
Explanation: She is not willing to come to the party. 

17. No, I ___ not afraid of dogs. 





ANSWER= (D) am 
Explanation: No, I am not afraid of dogs. 

18. There ____ a strong wind yesterday. 





ANSWER= (B) was 
Explanation: There was a strong wind yesterday. 

19. Everybody ____ very nice at work.  





ANSWER= (C) is 
Explanation: Everybody is very nice at work.

20. Sara ___ interested in joining the club.  





ANSWER= (C) is
Explanation: Sara is interested in joining the club.

21. We ___ locked up in the lift. 




ANSWER= (B) were 
Explanation: We were locked up in the lift. 

22. I ___ interested to go to the party tonight. 




ANSWER= (B) am 
Explanation: I am not interested to go to the party tonight. 

23. ___ your elder brother sick yesterday? 





ANSWER= (D) Were 
Explanation: Were your elder brother sick yesterday?

24. ___ there many fish in the river? 





ANSWER= (C) Were 
Explanation: Were there many fish in the river? 

25. There ____ a mirror on the wall. 





ANSWER= (B)  is 
Explanation: There is a mirror on the wall. 

26. Her house ____ at the end of the street.





ANSWER= (C) is 
Explanation: Her house is at the end of the street. 

27. Your name ____ at the bottom of the list. 





ANSWER= (B) was 
Explanation: Your name was at the bottom of the list. 

28. There ___ some clouds in the sky. 



     C) am

ANSWER= (A) are 
Explanation: There are some clouds in the sky. 

29. She ___ on the way home when I met her. 





ANSWER= (C) was 
Explanation: She was on the way home when I met her. 

30. I am sorry I ____ late a bit.





ANSWER= (C) am
Explanation: I am sorry I was late a bit


Students!

There are many other bubble worksheets for English Speaking Practice. Learn these sentences by heart and try to speak all the time in order to get ready your mind. This will remove your hesitation in speaking and with the passage of time, you will be able to speak English. If you like this, give your feedback or if you want any other worksheets please write in the comment box.

Thanks



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic English Grammar Lessons

Conditional Sentences Test No 1