Use of Any and Some

English Speaking Practice Exercise No. 2 
Use of 'some' and 'any' 


'Some'  is used in positive sentences:
For Example:
  • He is going to buy some new shirts. 
  • There is some ice in the fridge.
  • We must do some exercise daily.
  • She has some issues. 
'Any' is used in negative sentences:
  • They are not going to buy any shoes.
  • Do you not have any money?
  • There is not any passenger at the bus station. 
  • I don't need any clothes.

Choose the correct option of the following:
1. Is there ___ shampoo? I want to wash my hair. 


ANSWER= (B) any
Explanation: Is there any shampoo? 

2. She has no camera, so she cannot take ____ pic.



ANSWER= (B) any 
Explanation: She has no camera, so she cannot take any pic.

3. They have got ____  information.    


ANSWER= (A) some 
Explanation: They have got some information. 

5. He has not got ____ best friend here. 



ANSWER= (A) any 
Explanation: He has not got any best friend here. 

6.  I didn't see ____ in the house.  

ANSWER= (C) anybody
Explanation: I didn't see anybody in the house.  

7.  Do you know ___ good colleges in the city? 


ANSWER= (B)  any
Explanation: Do you know any good colleges in the city? 

8. Yes, there are ___ good books in the library.

ANSWER= (B) some 
Explanation: Yes, there are some good books in the library. 

9. Sara has not got ____ kids.



ANSWER= (C) any 
Explanation: Sara has not got any kids.  

10.  Are there ____ children in the park? 


ANSWER= (B) any
Explanation: Are there any children in the park? 


ANSWER= (C) anybody 
Explanation: I am looking for my mobile. Has anybody seen it? 

12. He has not got ____ home.  





ANSWER= (C) any
Explanation: He has not got any home. 

To learn more 

Click here to attempt a Test of Singular and Plural Verb

13. There is ___ in the house. 



ANSWER= (C) nobody  
Explanation: There is nobody in the house.

14. Do you know ___ about politics? 




ANSWER= (B) anything
Explanation: Do you know anything about politics? 

15. I have not done ____ wrong.




ANSWER= (C) anything 
Explanation: I have not done anything wrong. 

16. She has not given ___ willingness to go to the party.





ANSWER= (B) any
Explanation: She is not given any willingness to come to the party. 

17. No, I don't know ____ about the lost dog. 





ANSWER= (D) am 
Explanation: No, I don't know anything about the lost dog

18. Do you need any money? No. Thanks. I have ____. 





ANSWER= (A) some 
Explanation: Do you need any money? No. Thanks. I have some. 

19. Everybody has ____ common to share. 





ANSWER= (C) some
Explanation: Everybody has some common to share. 

20. There was hot in the room. Sara went out for ___ fresh air.  





ANSWER= (C) is
Explanation: There was hot in the room. Sara went out for some fresh air.

21. We need ____ money, please.  


ANSWER= (B) some 
Explanation: We need some money, please. 

22. I can do this assignment alone. I don't need ___ help.




ANSWER= (B) any
Explanation: I can do this assignment alone. I don't need any help

23. Does your elder brother want ___ job? 





ANSWER= (D) any 
Explanation: Does your elder brother want any job?

24. Are there ____  fish in the river? 





ANSWER= (C) any 
Explanation: Are there any fish in the river? 

25. There were ____ mirrors in the shop. 




ANSWER= (B)  some
Explanation: There were some mirrors in the shop. 

26. Her house has not got ____ garage.  



ANSWER= (B) any
Explanation: Her house has not got any garage

27. The mobile is not working. There is not ____ battery in it. 





ANSWER= (B) any 
Explanation: The mobile is not working. There is not any battery in it

28. There are ____ clouds in the sky. 



     C) any

ANSWER= (A) some
Explanation: There are some clouds in the sky. 

29. She has not got ____ admission this year. 





ANSWER= (C) any
Explanation: She has not got any admission this year. 

30. I am sorry I don't have ____.





ANSWER= (C) any
Explanation:  I am sorry I don't have any. 

Only 'have' is used after do, does, did, will, and shall




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basic English Grammar Lessons

Conditional Sentences Test No 1